The Rotoroa Island Education Programme supports young people (in years 6, 7 and 8), around the Auckland region to explore and discover nature and their own potential as conservation leaders and kaitiaki (guardians).
We have two Educator vacancies, starting in Term One 2024. These are part-time contracts working over Terms One and Four of the school year. The educator role involves delivering our programme into schools and on Rotoroa Island.
Working with the Programme Manager, the successful candidates will be part of a small team of educators who are passionate about conservation, nature and inspiring young people.
- You need to live in Auckland
- You must be confident presenting and setting up activities in classrooms, using technology and navigating a school environment.
- You must be able to lead walking groups of young people, their teachers and parents around Rotoroa Island and manage beach based activities with large school groups.
- Be reliable and organised as every day your job will be at a different location around the Auckland region.
- Be able and willing to contribute to programme and process reviews at the end of each term.
Qualifications & experience
- This role would suit a candidate with a teaching background or someone experienced leading and engaging groups of young people.
- Have experience and practical skills with behaviour management and health and safety outside the classroom.
- A passion for conservation and sharing this with the community
- Proven experience working in a team but also able to work efficiently on your own.
The successful candidate must:
- Meet the Code of Conduct for Teachers. Our Code Our Standards - Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand, and agree to undertake a police check prior to appointment.
- Have a current first aid certificate or be willing to get one prior to the starting date.
- Have a driver's licence and transport to visit schools in the wider Auckland area. (We pay travel costs as per IRD guidelines).
- Availability for regular full day trips by ferry to Rotoroa Island in the Hauraki Gulf, leaving from the CBD.
- Be available to stay overnight on Rotoroa Island for planned training before the start of Term one.
- Be available to work 3 - 4 days a week during Terms one and four.
- If from overseas you must be a confident English speaker and have a valid work visa
Please contact the Programme Manager – Jeanine Devaroyan – [email protected] for more details and to answer any questions you may have. To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter describing how you are an ideal candidate for this role and email to the above address by 30th November.